Cinema Spotlights

Monday, December 18, 2017

Better Late Than Never Vol. 1


Since October I've had the chance to see a lot films but have written on only three. (Sad, I know) I plan to write a full review for many of these but in the meantime (and with The Last Jedi upon us) these are my very brief thoughts on what has been playing the multiplex these past couple of months.
 
Blade Runner 2049 (C-)
Became what I initially thought T2: Trainspotting would be, an unnecessary sequel to good film. Blade Runner 2049 tries so hard to replicate (pun intended) the original by being the next big masterpiece with its new state-of-the art set designs and visual effects. It’s the same thing, can a robot feel, are they meant for more than what they are programmed to be, and all those philosophical questions that Her, Ex Machina and the original Blade Runner handled better. The characters range from uninteresting to pointless. It becomes a snooze-fest and admittedly the first Blade Runner had a slow pace but I remained invested from scene to scene not just on a technical aspect but the dialogue, the characters and the scenario that was occurring. Visually it looks amazing and wouldn't mind it winning some Oscars in the technical categories from the special effects, production design and cinematography (Rooting for you Roger Deakins!) .

Good-Bye Christopher Robin (C+)
The latest in the trend of biopics on writers and the inspiration that lead to their literary creations. From the origins of Peter Rabbit (Miss Potter, [2006]) Peter Pan (Finding Neverland, [2004]) to The Christmas Carol (The Man Who Invented Christmas [2017]) and The Wind of The Willows (Banking on Mr Toad [2018]) next in line. Good-Bye Christopher Robin tells the account of A.A. Milne (Domhnall Gleason) creating the beloved Winnie-the-Pooh stories and the impact it had on his family particularly his son C.R. “Billy” Milne (Will Tilston). The movie has echoes of Saving Mr. Banks of a bittersweet story on the creative process that went in to create such iconic characters. There are good performances but film is a by-the-numbers and generic story that has me more interested in seeing the real story in a book or documentary. I get artistic license is taken in film and while it didn't bother me in Saving Mr Banks, it did here especially with the ending where I felt it went a little far in some areas. 

Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (F)
Despite my disappointment with Blade Runner 2049, I made an effort to stay awake during it's run time that almost hits the three hour mark, with Boo 2: A Medea Halloween I actually fell asleep! It was for about three or four minutes but I didn't miss any important plot points. Why you may ask? BECAUSE ITS THE EXACT SAME AS THE FIRST ONE!!!! Overprotective dad, bratty and disobedient daughter, sneaking to a Halloween party, Madea gets involved in this charade, hijinks ensue, the monsters are not real, some hokey message about family and The End. I wouldn't mind the stupidity of this but even stupid comedy has a right way of being done and this ain't one of them. The events from the last movie are never brought up which would have saved this poor excuse of a dumb plot but it's only mentioned once and then brushed away. The only thing that is upgraded are the paranormal elements but it doesn't help the movie a bit. Is there anything nice I can say about this? I enjoyed the My Little Pony Kid's Meal I ordered at the concession stand.

The Star (C-)
Wish I could recommend The Star, the latest from Sony Animation who after the dud know as The Emoji Movie show no signs of recovery. It's the the nativity story but with talking animals; I get the gimmick is to entertain kids but I found it all dull and annoying. I wanted the focus to shift back to Mary (Gina Rodriguez from The CW’s Jane the Virgin) and Joseph (Zachary Levi from Disney’s Tangled). I like their depictionMary being the kind and humble person who would give birth to the son of God, and Joseph who is perplexed on the revelation and later acknowledge's its significance and the task of caring for the child. It’s a shame that they play second fiddle to this mediocre menagerie. In hindsight I can see this as a harmless introduction for little, little kids but I've seen talking vegetables do a better job telling biblical stories. If you want to see an animated take on the birth of Jesus in cartoon form that is funny and endearing then look no further than with the Animaniacs segment "Little Drummer Warners" in less than seven minutes this short retains its wacky and slapstick humor but remains reverent to the story of the first Christmas.


Wonder (A-)
The story of Auggie Pullman will make a grown man cry. I should know, cause this man was a big bawling mess in the Cineplex. This is faithful as an adaptation gets and director Stephen Chbosky captures the spirit of R.J. Palacio's book wonderfully. From Room to The Book of Henry Jacob Tremblay is simply remarkable as Auggie; this kid is going places. Hard to believe his next role is in the upcoming Predator reboot. This could have easily become a mushy mess but thankfully it doesn't descend to that level. Wonder is a true wonder that the whole family can enjoy.

Coco (A)
I plan to to write a lengthier piece on this but until then all I can say if you haven't seen Coco, GO WATCH IT! In a year where animation has been underwhelming leave it to Pixar to save the day. As someone with Mexican roots this hits close to home on so many levels that I chose to watch this in Spanish before seeing the original English dub. The movie is still excellent in English but Spanish speaking audiences will find a lot more to appreciate. Like Wonder it's a movie I highly recommend for the entire family just be sure to have a box of tissues ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 5 Films of 2023

Another year and the Oscars have come and gone! Congratulations to  Oppenheimer  for winning the big awards including Best Picture, Best Sup...