Cinema Spotlights

Monday, June 5, 2017

Double Feature: Baywatch & Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales


Memorial Day weekend brought us two​ movies that took place off dry land. Neither delivered a spectacular splash though I would say one swam better than the other. 

With the success of 21 Jump Street, in which a television drama show is turned into a full fledged comedy movie, Baywatch attempts this with hopes of lightning striking twice.
I get it's meant to be silly and self-aware but I don't remember laughing once. Maybe a few chuckles but they were mostly from Dwayne Johnson the only bright spot of this movie but alas not even he can save this shipwreck of a film. It tries to be a both a comedy and serious movie but honestly the serious storyline would have made a better story which from I hear is what the original show was about even with its campy feel. They should have titled it Babewatch because let's face that's the only real reason anyone would want to see this movie, the hot ladies and hunky men especially with its scenes of them running in slow motion. Never watched the show and this film didn't raise my interest in seeing it. Forgettable characters, and dull jokes, it s no reason this film sank on arrival. 

I never really cared for the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. When Curse of the Black Pearl first premiered it never got my attention even after finally watching it. Dead Mans Chest raised some interest only to be let down by the overlong At World's End. I have no memory of On Stranger Tides (though that could be for the fact that I saw it in Spanish). Surprisingly for all the talk about this series running out of steam and just cashing in, I had fun with Dead Men Tell No Tales as it disposes its dark and serious tone and embraces its silly and swash-buckling adventure feel. By the first scene when we see Jack Sparrow up to his extremely outrageous tricks,  I gave up and chucked out my brain and enjoyed for what it was. This is the first time I’m invested in the storyline with a cursed crew seeking vengeance on Jack lead by Captain Salazar (Javier Bardem) as well as going the Days of Future Past route (I know that's a bad example but it’s the first comparison that came to mind) on trying to correct the mistakes that were committed by the previous installments.  I enjoyed the new characters along with some familiar faces, never felt the over two hour runtime and knowing more on Jack Sparrow and Barbossa's past played once again by Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush is one the film’s best moments. Very flawed and definitely not a great film but you know what, I could use some mindless entertainment now and then.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 5 Films of 2023

Another year and the Oscars have come and gone! Congratulations to  Oppenheimer  for winning the big awards including Best Picture, Best Sup...